Atlantic (Athens, Georgia)
Gulf (Meridian, Mississippi)
Senior Forester (Arkansas)View Job Details >>
The Senior Forester in Arkansas is responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with customers, marketing the annual harvest plan, ensuring timely delivery of products consistent with volume and quality commitments, assisting in the preparation of annual harvest plans and directing a third party in the execution of harvest, silvicultural and inventory activities. Additional responsibilities include contract preparation, administration and performance monitoring to ensure contract compliance. The position requires a complete working knowledge of SFI certification requirements, state Best Management Practices (BMPs) and local ordinances regarding commercial timber harvest and transportation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (other duties may be assigned)
- Assure a safe workplace. Take personal initiative and responsibility to ensure ongoing safe behaviors through implementation and active participation in the company safety program.
- Maintain strong relationships with existing customers, ensure timely performance of volume and quality commitments, and develop new customer relationships to foster a competitive pricing environment.
- Maintain an accurate and current harvest plan. Provide accurate planning information to other departments regarding weekly and monthly wood flows, log sales and revenue projections.
- Work effectively with a third party to:
- Oversee the layout of harvest settings and haul roads to ensure productivity with the least environmental impact, maintaining compliance with all state and federal regulations.
- Oversee contract logging and road building/maintenance program. Perform field checks to ensure contract and harvest plan compliance.
- Oversee harvest operations. Ensure moves are minimized to enhance logging capacity and efficiency, provide accurate production information and log sales forecasts.
- Budget for and oversee site preparation, planting and other silviculture activities, utilizing the appropriate financial analysis and logistics applications.
- Assist in the margin analysis of harvest and silviculture activities.
- Responsible for property maintenance including property line surveying and marking, maintenance of gates and monitoring encroachment within the region.
- Monitor hunting club field activities to ensure compliance with the terms of the recreation lease agreement.
- Apply consistent and accurate application and communication of policies and procedures designed to promote efficiency and productivity.
- Ensure compliance with SFI policies and procedures, state Best Management Practices and local ordinances regarding timber harvesting and hauling
- Represent the Company at public meetings and community events, as required. Utilize communication and negotiation skills when interaction with members of the community is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forest Management, Natural Resource Management, or equivalent, plus five or more years of experience. If incumbent does not have B.S. degree relevant industry, supervisory and contractor management experience will be considered.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Exhibit high professional and ethical standards.
- Ability to be highly motivated and self-directed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Proven supervisory and leadership to effectively lead a staff or crew with a focus on safety and goal achievement.
- Exhibit strong leadership skills. Work with integrity, trust and commitment, setting an example for others.
- Maintain effective and professional relationships with co-workers within immediate work group, outside the immediate department, and with key contacts outside the Company including regulatory agencies.
- Effective and productive communications skills; approachable and open to discussion, being persuasive in discussions regarding conflicts over resource use, as well as have highly developed written communication skills.
- Manage multiple priorities professionally with minimum disruption to others. Respond to unexpected challenges successfully without losing track of daily responsibilities. Prioritize workload in order of importance. Reliably follow through with job assignments.
- Learn, apply and retain new methods and information. Creative in solving problems. Exhibit a “can do” attitude with a positive approach to challenges. View obstacles as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Willingness to invest time when projects demand more time commitment to accomplish important and/or timely goals.
- The ability to work unsupervised.
- At least two years demonstrated management of company employees and contractors.
- Familiarity with GIS.
- Willingness to participate in continuing education programs and training related to the forestry profession.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This position is located in Arkansas.
- Field work in addition to a normal office environment with moderate noise levels, occasional lifting, regular walking, sitting, bending, twisting, standing and reaching.
- Ability to orient, climb, and traverse rugged, densely vegetated terrain on a consistent basis in in sometimes harsh weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Must have ability to work independently and without immediate supervision in remote areas.
- Occasional travel to various locations requiring a vehicle and ability to drive.
- Ability to tour logging operations, attend training and company functions.
- Ability to perform consistent and accurate work on a PC.
- Must maintain punctual and regular attendance and present appropriate professional appearance at all times.
- Requires the use of standard safety equipment in regulation with Company policy.
- Work in conditions that may expose employee wildlife encounters, firefighting, reptile and/or insect bites.
- This position may be exposed to marking paint, gas, diesel fumes, pollens and smoke.
- This position is a Physical and Mental Requirement Classification 3.
To apply, use the link below to access our online application system. Please upload a cover letter with your resume.
If you experience technical problems accessing the online system, email your cover letter and resume to Laura Baltadonis at SEjobs@greendiamond.com.
Position open until filled.